Friday, August 5, 2011

Who's Worrying?!

I'm a known worrier. I worry about upcoming events in my life, whether they're something as small as who I'm going to sit with at lunch, or something as big as if I'm going to do well on the SAT. And often times with worry comes stress.

One of the biggest things I've worried and stressed over within the past year or so is where I'm going to go to college, and what I'm going to go there to learn. In high school these days the pressure to decide your future starts early, and there are people there who firmly believe that you should have your career path (and, likewise, the rest of your life!) planned out from start to finish.

I disagree.

I was one of those regular ole teenagers - and no, we're not slackers! - who didn't have the slightest clue what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. 

And, to my parents, that was fine. My mom changed her majors in college so many times that she eventually went back to school when she finally decided what she wanted to do with her life. I was told that there was nothing wrong with being unsure of your future. And yet, I was unhappy with not knowing what my next step was going to be...

I prayed and prayed to the Lord that I would decide what to do, and that there would be contentment when I finally did know.

"Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for GOOD, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life."
-Philippians 4:7


So, my contentment didn't come as quick as that... But right now, at this exact moment, I can say that I am at least 99% sure what I want to do with my life.

Like I said, this afirmation didn't happen overnight. I waited for God patiently, praying to Him all the while. If it wasn't for certain circumstances that He placed in my life, I probably wouldn't have felt a calling or a pull in the direction I'm going... But because I left Him in control, and didn't rush Him, He blessed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment