Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Entertaining Angels

Let's talk people...

Every day people come in and out of our lives. I'm one of those people who's a firm believer that everything happens for a reason...and, likewise, people enter and exit our lives for a reason.

Now, I'm not here to judge what that exact reason is for each person I happen to come in contact with, but, because God is so good, I can only imagine that His intentions are the best possible.

I'm not gonna lie, I am guilty of being a judgemental person. I judge people by their outward appearances and actions all the time. Ohh, she's the athletic/jock type, is she even capable of having a fashion sense? Or he's a surfer/skater dude, how can he have a brain? Or hey, he's cussing every other word, he can't possibly be a Christian.

And then the judging turns into something even worse: comparing. I can dress tons better than her. I'm smarter than two of his brains put together. Or, I don't cuss at all, so I must be the epitome of a perfect Christian.

"Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults - unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging." 
- Matthew 7:1 & 2 (MSG)


Jesus has a simple way of telling Christians not to judge or compare. It's basically like this: what goes around comes around. Don't dish it out unless you're willing to take it back. A version of the Golden Rule.

Sometimes, we don't really know who we're judging. We don't know a person's past or their history. We may not even know their name. 

One of my favorite things to think about is entertaining angels. We don't know these people's names, or where they came from, but they're somehow there, at just the right time.

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."
- Hebrews 13:2


What if, let's just say, the old lady walking her dog past your house is actually an angel? Would you ignore her if you knew that she was an angel? Of course not! You would, at the least, smile and wave as she passes by.

So why not treat every random individual as if they were one of God's angels? Maybe He's placed them in your life for a reason... It could be anything from teaching you a lesson, to providing you comfort at a time when no one else knows you need it.

I love God's blessings in disguise...

No comments:

Post a Comment