Thursday, August 11, 2011

Another Waiting Game

It seems like every moment of my life I spend waiting on something. Whether it's a movie night, a text from a certain someone, a test grade, a person to arrive, or a holiday...I spend my time waiting for it. That doesn't nessecarily mean I'm a lazy or boring person - like most people, I can occupy my time with something else while I wait.

And the things we wait for aren't always what we would label special things. For example, right now I'm waiting to go to Zumba - nothing too special about that, huh?

My point is: every day is a waiting game. No matter how big or small, special or not a thing is, we spend our time with our hopes up high, waiting for something good to come along.

Here recently my family has been waiting to start building our own home. And between the four members of my family, there's more than enough waiting to go around! 

The weird part of this waiting is that it didn't just occur over night. My parents spent years, before I was even born, dreaming of owning their own house. More recently, in the past six or so years, we've searched for land to build on. And now, here we are, seventeen years later, preparing to finally build this house.

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."
-Psalm 27:14


My family went through many missed opportunities, broken plans, and patient waiting before the Lord gave us the land we now own and the house we're so close to building. Yet, in the meantime, we didn't sit around crying to God because he wasn't there for us. We served Him while we waited...with our time, our money, our talents, and our lives.

In the Bible, Moses led the people of Israel out of slavery through God's calling. Not so similarily to my family's story, God guided Moses, and then Joshua and the Israelites to take over the promised land...

"I'm giving you every square inch of the land you set your foot on - just as I promised Moses... Strength! Courage! You are going to lead this people to inherit the land that I promised to give their ancestors. Give it everything you have, heart and soul. Make sure you carry out The Revelation that Moses commanded you, every bit of it. Don't get off track, either left or right, so as to make sure you get to where you're going... Haven't I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don't be timid; don't get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take."
- Joshua 1:3, 6-7 & 9 (MSG)


In our waiting, my family learned that His timing is so much better than ours. If we had even tried building our house years ago, we wouldn't have had the resources and connections that we do now. In other words, He made us wait for a reason. We may not always see or agree with God's reasoning, but it's ultimately in our best interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment