Sunday, October 6, 2013

My Husband & My Daddy

I have a confession to make. I am an avid Pinterester. I know, y'all didn't see that one coming. But the DIY-er in me comes out the moment I log in to my account. I have my food board, my art board, my project board, my quotes board...and yes, I even have my "would-be" wedding board.

I'm not that crazy planner who has every last detail already figured out...but I do enjoy fantasizing about what my wedding might possibly look like. The dress, the cake, the food, the table settings, the venue...it's a lot to think about, but the possibilities are endless.

And then I realize that there's one crucial thing missing: the groom.

And that, or rather he, is the detail I have yet to imagine. As with the dress and the cake and the food and the table settings and the venue, there are endless possibilities as to whom this man could be.

But he's not someone I sit around daydreaming about. In fact, I think he's the part that scares me a bit. It scares me to think that he could be someone I already know...or someone I won't meet for years...and then what seems like the scariest thought of all is that there may not even be a he.

I could be called to a life of singleness. And that, my friends, is where I believe God is trying to get my attention.

The Bible speaks of the Church being the "Bride of Christ." I, for one, think this is a beautiful image. But what is even more beautiful, to me, is the thought of Christ as my husband. I know, this doesn't make sense at all. After all, God has always been our "father"...how can He be both father and husband?

This is what God's Word has to say...

"For your Maker is your husband - the Lord Almighty is his name - the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth... For a brief moment I abandoned you, but with deep compassion I will bring you back... Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you.
- Isaiah 54:5, 7, 10

Up until just recently, I had never heard that God is my husband. But after reading these verses, it all makes perfect sense to me. God desires a deep and intimate relationship with me...the same that I should be longing for with Him. He is jealous for me. HE is jealous for ME. That thought absolutely amazes me...that this perfect, flawless King takes me, as sinful as I am, and loves me regardless of my imperfections and flaws! And He wants to be my husband. He wants me to be consumed by Him. His love is endless and unfailing. He won't stop loving me whenever times get tough, or a situation seems too much to handle. He won't let emotions get in the way, because He's too caught up in me already! God makes for the perfect husband.

"I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion. I will betroth you in faithfulness, and you will acknowledge the Lord."
- Hosea 2:19-20

His feelings will never dim. He says so Himself! In righteousness, justice, love, compassion and faithfulness - He will betroth me in all of these things!

So now my Pinterest board seems irrelevant. My dreaming and scheming seems uncalled for. My quest for "Mr. Right" seems ridiculous...because He is right here in front of me. He's already holding me tight and kissing my forehead. Even when I wish that I could really feel His arms around me, I can feel His peace. He has taught me to be content in Him...content in my singleness.

And if the time comes that He wants to bring an earthly man into my life, who can lead me in my walk with Him, then I will be content in that.

I'm not going to lie - I've already started writing to this mystery man. I write to tell him that he must be something special if my Daddy - and now my husband! - is willing to share me with him! I tell him what I see in him. I tell him why I've waited around for so long, and why I've refused to settle.

So whether this is just a season of singleness, or I'm in it for the long haul, I am content to weather this life with Him. Because if my God is for me, then who can be against me?

No comments:

Post a Comment