Not literally (although it may not be such a bad idea!), but figuratively. It can come in the form of a person telling you something you don't want to hear, or through the realization that everything you wanted to happen is not, in fact, happening.
For me, though, it came straight from God. My Father, my Husband, the giver of all that I have, my Savior and Redeemer, slapped me in the face today. He reminded me that I am controlling, and even more than that, I am manipulative. How's that for a slap in the face?!
Let me explain... Nowadays, more than ever, I am constantly seeking Him, which is a great and glorious thing. But whenever I seek Him, I seek the things that I want to seek. I ask Him to provide for me in ways that will help me rather than hurt me. I try to manipulate His plan and form it into something that I want. I forget that I am not the leader, but He is. I forget that sometimes He has to bring me to my knees before He can pull me up to stand. I forget that many times He has to carry me, like a child, until I can walk in His way.
In the last few weeks, my Daddy has shown me that. He's reminded me that while I think I have it all together - while I'm spending so much time writing in my prayer journal, digging into my Bible, staying involved in church and campus ministries - I really do not. He has reminded me that I am weak, and I am in need of carrying. And He is constantly reminding me that I am incompetent of staying one step ahead of Him, or even walking beside Him, for that matter.
"Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God."
- 2 Corinthians 3:5
Obviously, I'm not capable of leading myself and relying on His plan at the same time. It's impossible for anyone to be. So this is where we must make a choice.
Do we maintain control and constantly burden ourselves until we physically can't handle any more? Do we keep pushing for our idea of perfection until one of two things happen: we receive it, or we are overwhelmed trying to achieve it?
Or do we lay everything - our time, our possessions, our plans, our dreams, our lives - at the foot of the cross and entrust it all to God? Do we put our competence in Him, and believe without a doubt that He will provide not what we want, but what we need?
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."
- Ephesians 3:20-21
You see, whenever you're not too busy trying to manipulate God's plans (like me!), He is patiently waiting for you to let Him into your life. Not only is He willing to take control, but He wants to take control! He wants to carry His children, so that we will admit our weakness and admire His strength.
And, sometimes, a slap in the face is the only way to make us see that our approach is all wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment