Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Something to boast about!


I have a boyfriend.

I have a boyfriend!

I. Have. A. Boy. Friend.

I'm sorry, I'm so new to this whole relationship thing. By all common stereotypes I shouldn't be... I am a 19 year old sophomore in college. I'm not hideous; I'm fairly smart and accomplished; I actually have friends and *somewhat* normal hobbies. And yet here I am, new to relationships. More particularly male/female relationships...you know, the dating kind!

There - I said it. I've never dated a guy before. Never been in a relationship.

Oh, I've dreamed of it alright! I've dreamed and schemed about my perfect man. I've been caught up in fantasies centered on the  multiple "Mr. Right's." What I was too naïve to see was that while I was busy scheming up my own plans, God was perfecting His.

And now I want to boast. This weekend, I will take my newly claimed "boyfriend," Caleb, home with me. Oh, I have big plans already. Friday night football...Saturday evening bonfire with friends and family...and then, the icing on the cake, Sunday morning church. Don't laugh at me, but for some reason my dreams have always consisted of taking my man to church with me. Maybe it's the preacher's kid in me... Or maybe it's the fact that I want to share my incredible guy with my church family. Maybe I want the folks who grew up loving on me and supporting me to see that I finally "done good."

In short, I want to boast. I want to boast about my guy.

But in all honesty, I wouldn't be calling Caleb "my guy" if it wasn't for the Lord. If I - if we - hadn't given up everything (our control, our time, our devotion, our love) to our God, this newfound relationship would be nonexistent. Or maybe it would be existent...it's possible. But it would lack Christ as the center and basis of it.

So if Christ is the center of mine and Caleb's relationship, why on earth would I not want to boast in Him?! He has given us this beautiful friendship that has grown and developed - in His time - into something much more intimate and valuable.

"...but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord."
- Jeremiah 9:24 (ESV)

Whenever I go home, I want to boast in Him. I want to boast to all my friends about what God has done in my life...in my relationship...in my heart. He has changed me so so much, in the last month alone. He has shown me undeserved grace, so why wouldn't I honor Him with my boasting?

No comments:

Post a Comment